Friday, February 25, 2011

Pain: -n. physical, mental, or emotional suffering

I am not afraid to say it: I am a huge fan of the show Grey's Anatomy. I've never been real into medical dramas, but a couple of years ago I got hooked and recently I have gone back to the beginning of the series- Season 1: Episode 1- because it is just as true in fiction as it is in life that everyone has a story. Everyone's pain, hurt, triumphs, and victories make them who they are. These are the things that cause us to make the decisions we make. So I wanted to see why these characters are the way they are. What brought them to these points in their lives?

I am now about five episodes into Season 3 and as I was watching last night the character Miranda Bailey was performing a surgery on a young girl who had a chromosomal defect that caused her to feel absolutely no pain. She had no sensation of physical pain whatsoever. While Dr. Bailey was in surgery she made this comment to her intern:
"Everybody wants a life without pain. Where does it get you? Pain is there for a reason."

I don't know what your circumstances may be now, or what they may have been before, but I encourage you to confront your pain. Physical, mental, or emotional. Learn from it. Use it to help others. Be glad you're not numb to the pain. Know that it is there for a reason and push yourself to find out that reason. If you are suffering or if you are in the worst amount of pain you have ever been in, know that there is One who has taken that burden freely. On the cross. And He is not only willing, but wants to take it from you. No amount of hurt is unbearable to Him or too much for Him to handle.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment