Tuesday, March 1, 2011

March 1st: Self-Injury Awareness Day

Generally, when the calendar flips over to March 1st I am so excited to wish everyone a happy March! It has always been one of my favorite months. I think it's just the month that signals change. The temperatures begin to rise a little, the snow melts and becomes a little less frequent, and in some places daffodils even begin to sprout. March 1st to me is a promise. A promise that life will soon be budding again and that the beautiful colors will be returning all around me. It's hopeful.

March 1st is Self-Injury Awareness Day (SIAD) and from one who struggled with it for many years I can tell you that encouragement is one of the best gifts someone can give. You don't need a reason to tell someone how thankful you are for them or how much they mean to you. The fact that you care for them is reason enough. If you think someone you love is hurting themselves I plead with you that you go to them, talk to them, listen to them, be quiet with them, and let them know that they don't have to suffer alone. Depression's best friend is silence. Help them break the silence. Be their loud whisper.

For some, maybe most, March signifies nothing more than if you haven't jumped onto your New Year's resolutions you're probably not going to. Or maybe if you're a bit like me it gives you hope that Winter is fading and we can begin to crawl out of hibernation. Regardless, use this month, use today, to talk about your struggles and to be there for those around you who need to talk about it.

Until next time...

3 comments:

  1. Stacy it's so great to read about your struggles and to see how God has made you into a beautiful wife and mother. Not to mention a half-decent skier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awe thanks Tim! And you aren't so bad yourself! :) Love you buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post stacy! I think I needed it.

    ReplyDelete