Sunday, June 13, 2010

It's All Worth It

So I am the mom of a 7 month old little boy. For those of you who are moms, you know that sometimes it's possible for your whole world to stop - time, distractions, everything - and you realize the absolutely amazing gift that you have in your arms. That happened to me tonight as I was rocking with my son before bed. Thankfully, I have been blessed with a little guy who loves to cuddle so it's easy for him to hunker down in your arms and cuddle up against your neck right underneath your chin. But I like to think that (with the exception of my husband of course) that I am his most cuddle-perfect companion. I love that he does great with other people, but there is something so special and so unique about how he rests on me. It's different. It's calming... for him and me, and I feel honored to know it. Even though he's just now learning how to open and close his mouth to begin to make communicable sounds instead of leaving it wide open and just letting his sounds fall out, he is already teaching me and showing me so much. I feel that there's a million cliche's you could enter in here to sum this up, but the fact is, they're probably all true. It's just that when you experience them, they're more like an epiphany than anything else. He's teaching me to be brave and face my fears. He's teaching me to enjoy the simple things (i.e. a shower, a nap, quiet time to myself) which I know I only took for granted before him. And he's teaching me a new love for him as well as a deeper love for my husband. I can honestly say that this has probably been the most stressful, scary, and at the same time exciting 7 months of my life so far, but I am so thankful for when all time can stop and he can lift his head from underneath my chin, put his hands on either side of my face, smile at me and fall onto my face with a big 'ole wide open mouth of a kiss. I know then that it's all worth it.

2 comments:

  1. You are such a beautiful writer :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's astounding, I agree! :) these kiddos are the best thing since sliced bread (perhaps even better!!). See you tomorrow!!

    ReplyDelete